Recently we as a country recognized the 20th anniversary of the September 11th Terrorist Attacks. That somber remembrance, paired with the ever-changing global pandemic, has caused many people to rethink their priorities in life. Reflecting on these events made it clear to those of us at F&D that while it’s important to work hard, it’s just as important if not more so, to strive to do good in the world. Whether it’s donating to a cause, helping out our friends and neighbors, or being stewards of our environment; we involve ourselves in the community. Over the last few months, we’ve strived to identify ways that we can give back to our community. And we’d love to share with you those today.
A few months ago, we rolled out our F&D Wellness and Charity Challenge. Our F&D Gives Back Committee challenged our team to exercise for 30 minutes, 5 times a week. And for each of those 5 times they received an entry into a drawing. And at the end of each month, we draw a name, and the winner gets to pick a charity that corporate donation is made to in their name! How cool is that? So far, the following team members have won and have picked these great charities:
· Margaret Lynch—Lakeville South High School Marching Band Booster Club
· Sam Jirik—Friends of the Boundary Waters
· Melantha Kresin—Wausau Area Montessori Charter School
In addition to this fun new challenge, we’ve also added monthly themed charitable events. We hosted company-wide contest to see who could match the most pet owners to their pets and when Ashley Cox won, a donation was made in her name to the Crossroads Animal Shelter, the shelter from which she and her husband adopted their dog.
We also mentioned in a prior newsletter that we partnered with our local insurance agent, Pam McCarthy, to donate school supplies and made a monetary donation to help make sure students were fully supplied on their first day of school. And in just a few days’ time, F&D will be sending volunteers to help at Farmington’s Dew Days celebration on September 18th, where we will be running the Big Wheel Race. (If you’re wondering what Dew Days is, ask our Business Development Specialist, Jake Cordes, and he’ll tell you the history!)
If you follow us on social media, you’ll see all the charitable organizations that we are partnering with over the coming months, because at F&D it’s important to do good work, but even more important to be good people.
Get to Know F&D
Take some time this month to get to know Sam Jirik, one of our Accounting Managers!
1. How Long Have You Been With F&D: 6 months
2. Education: Minnesota State University, Mankato – Accounting and Corporate Finance
3. Favorite Movie: Office Space
4. Favorite Book: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
5. Favorite Band: The Aquabats
6. If you could have any job in the world, what would you do? Hiking/Camping Guide
7. Where is the most breathtaking place you’ve ever travelled? Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico
8. Fun Fact About You: I dislocated my hip while skiing sophomore year of college.